This article will go through how to troubleshoot your emails not sending due to an authentication or validation error associated with a security block from Gmail.
This article is ONLY relevant for Gmail email addresses used in Z Office/Z Dispense.
Before we troubleshoot, it's important to check the your email details are entered correctly in Z Office and to send a test email to confirm the error.
To check this:
- Go to Z Office > Settings > Store Settings:
- Select the Communication tab. You will see your email address details under email settings. Check this is correct and there are no typos.
- Press Test Email Settings to test the email:
When testing your email settings, you encounter the following error:
Error: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The sever response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required…
This generally means that there is an authentication/validation error caused by security settings with the email address due to either:
- The entered password is incorrect and needs to be fixed
- Allow Less Secure Apps is disabled
Enabling Less Secure Apps
Gmail email addresses have a setting called Less Secure Apps which blocks other software (like Z programs) from sending/receiving emails from your Gmail. To be able to send emails from Z, you will need to Enable Less Secure Apps on your Gmail account.
Make sure the Gmail address signed into your browser when you enable this setting is the same one used in Z Office.
- Go to a web browser and go to Google.com
- Log into the Gmail account that you use in Z Office by selecting Gmail or Sign In from the top right:
- Once the sign in is successful, go to this website: Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help.
- Under Turn off "Less secure app access" > Click Less secure app access
- By default, Allow Less Secure Apps is turned OFF:
- Select the toggle to Turn ON 'Allow Less Secure Apps':
- Refresh your browser to make sure the setting has saved.
- Test the email settings in Z Office and it should work. If it is still erroring, please contact Z Support for further support.
You may need to enable this setting more than once as the Allow Less Secure Apps setting resets for users when Chrome undergoes updates periodically. When you encounter the same issues mentioned in this article, please log onto your Gmail to re-enable this setting.